Posted on February 24, 2015
CCHC participating in successful Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) for accountable care.
by Mark Hagland, Healthcare Informatics
Coastal Carolina, which cares for more than 30,000 patients, is a multi-specialty physician group with 42 physicians and 20 mid-level providers, delivering care to patients in 11 locations. Leveraging the Touchworks EHR [electronic health record] solution from the Chicago-based Allscripts, the leaders at Coastal Carolina have been focusing on such important areas as expanding preventive care (such as ensuring that patients are reached out to proactively to get needed mammographies and colonoscopies. Physicians also use tools in the EHR to measure their own performance.
Overview of CCHC patient benefits:
- Reduced emergency department visits by 10-15 percent in one year
- Reduced hospital readmissions by 10-15 percent in one year
- Reduced average costs per patient by 19 percent in one year, resulting in $1.2 milion savings
- Increased preventive screening rates, to levels of 91 percent for mammograms, 94 percent for pneumococcal vaccination, 88 percent for influenza vaccination, and 89 percent for colorectal cancer screening
- Improved clinical outcomes, including bringing down hemoglobin a1c levels above 9, from 18 percent of such patients, to 8.3 percent of such patients
What this means for our patients is that they continue to receive high quality care at a lower cost. One key area to note is the implementation of our Care Coordinators who work with our sickest patients. This department is staffed with 11 registered nurses and a supervisor who, in addition to calling on patients, manages a 24/7 triage line and can accommodate a next-day physician visit if needed to avert an ED visit. And often, the person on call would meet the patient at the doctor’s office the next day in the doctor’s office. We have seen a reduction in the number of our patients going to the hospital because medical problems can be addressed before an emergency happens. >>READ MORE
CCHC is a physician owned and operated multi-specialty medical group specializing in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Neurology, Sleep Medicine, Urgent Care, Oncology, Hematology, Gastroenterology, Pulmonology, and Critical Care. CCHC also operates a state-of-the-art Imaging Center equipped with advanced diagnostic equipment such as MRI, CT, Ultrasound, Mammography, Bone Density and plain X-Ray, as well as an Urgent Care, Endoscopy Center, and Sleep Lab. We also serve the local community by providing medical services at CarolinaEast Medical Center, the MERCI Clinic, and area nursing homes.